A very high standard of uniform is expected at all times. Please check with the Headteacher before making any unusual purchase or uniform decisions.
10 Leyton Road
Hertfordshire AL5 2TL
131-135 Victoria Street
Hertfordshire AL1 3XS
Items not specific to Sir John Lawes School are available at many other retailers.
- Navy Blazer with school badge
- Plain long sleeved shirt or blouse. Shirts must remain tucked in at all times. An alternative short sleeved shirt for wearing in the summer term is available with the school crest; only the uniform short sleeved shirt is allowed
- Plain navy v-neck pullover (optional) to be worn under the blazer in winter (not to be tucked in)
- School tie – not worn too short – worn with at least 5 stripes showing
- Sensible black shoes. Heels should be no higher than 2 inches. Boots, trainers, trainer style, canvas, ballet type, backless, open toe, flip flops, high heels and stilettos should not be worn
- Raincoat or topcoat (not denim or leather, no hoodies, bomber jackets or logos)
- Navy or neutral tights or short white socks - to be worn with school skirt
- Dark grey or black socks - to be worn by all students wearing trousers
- Navy pleated school skirt (knee length, it is worth bearing in mind that the skirt may need to be replaced regularly in order to meet this requirement.) Skirts must be properly fastened at the back at all times. They must not be rolled over or down at the waistband. The skirt must be obtained from Stevensons
- Belts may be worn with trousers but should be dark and plain with only a small plain buckle
- Girls black with the school crest available exclusively from Stevensons
- Boys black or charcoal grey trousers (flannel not cord). They must fit correctly at the waist so that underwear is covered at all times. Trousers must not be oversized, sagging or baggy underneath. They must not be tight at the ankle or ‘skinny’ style (not fashion trousers).
- Royal blue/white boys’ games shirt (SJL crest)
- Royal blue/white girls’ games shirt (SJL crest)
- Plain royal blue skort or shorts
- Royal blue/white SJL hockey/football socks
- White socks (ankle length)
- Football boots (for boys and girls)
- Royal blue/white reversible rugby shirt
- Plain black leotard and black cycling shorts
- Navy SJL base layer (optional)
- Navy blue SJL fleece (optional)
- SJL tracksuit bottoms (optional) Plain black leggings (optional)
- Shin pads/mouth guard
PLEASE ENSURE THAT ALL ITEMS OF UNIFORM AND EQUIPMENT ARE CLEARLY LABELLED
Our Parental Support Services page lists foundations offering financial support to families in Harpenden.
General rules about dress and appearance
Jewellery The only jewellery permitted in school is a single plain gold/silver stud in the lower lobes, plus a watch. Facial piercings are not allowed (even if covered with a plaster).
Bags Bags that feature inappropriate nudity or sexually explicit imagery are strictly forbidden.
Makeup Makeup should not be worn. Nail varnish, false nails, false eyelashes or nail extensions should not be worn.
Badges The only badges permitted are official school badges, such as House Representative badges and one charity badge.
Hair Hair must be appropriate for a smart office environment. We realise that this can be interpreted differently according to culture and ethnicity and are happy to accept and value all kinds of smart as long as these are consistent with the head teacher’s final judgement. We follow the Halo Code. If worn short, hair may have a gradual fade but should not be stepped. If short hair is worn the same length all over it may be no shorter than grade 2. Hair should be of a natural colour. No patterns or tramlines should be shaved into the hair or the eyebrows. Long hair should be fastened or tied back for practical activities. Hair ornaments should not be worn. Hair bands must be plain and either black, white or navy.
Hoodies/tracksuit tops Hoodies must not be brought or worn to school and will be confiscated for parental collection.